Credo

I suppose one’s credo should be grounded in insightful ideologies from philosophers, religious icons or parents. Mine (above), is taken from Dos Equis & The Most Interesting Man in the World! No matter the source, the statement describes me perfectly; I don’t believe in a life lived secondhand. My musings on this blog discuss how I have lived by this credo so far, and will continue to do so. I’d be thrilled if you also shared your experiences here; let me hear from you about your LIFE.

Monday, August 25, 2014

A Heart (and Head) Healthy Habit

Bob and I rode the Reston Century Ride yesterday; a 102 mile jaunt through the gorgeous Virginia countryside (up and down at least a million hills).  The weather was perfect, starting out a little cloudy and chilly and ending up with sunshine and blue skies.  The ride was very well supported and, joy of joys, I got to eat PB&Js at almost every rest stop!  I’ve often told people that I climb mountains because I can eat chocolate for breakfast on expedition, and I think the same concept applies to riding centuries J

I’m not going to fib to you though; my glutes are talking to me today.  They are sore. The capital S, ‘why’d I do that?’ kind of sore.  Well, first of all, it was fun.  I don’t expect you to agree with me on this point; I realize sufferfests aren’t for everyone.  My hubby and I do enjoy them though, so yes, the main point was to have fun.  However, the second reason we do this is for our physical and mental wellbeing.  The health benefits of regular exercise have been proven time and time again, yet they get little media attention in spite of the current crisis surrounding the health of our nation.  Most of the focus is on the state of the American diet.  Undeniably, our diet is in an atrocious state and deserves attention, but we need to examine our physical activity levels also.  Sitting for too many hours each day has actually coined the phrase ‘Sitting Disease’, and it is wreaking havoc on our health.  The key to good overall fitness is both proper nutrition and being physically active.  This doesn’t mean adopting a stringent DIET or doing planned EXERCISE; don't get pyched out by those words.  A great start is to be a bit smarter about what/how much we eat, and to choose the stairs instead of the elevator.  Here’s a brief article that sums things up nicely: 

And there’s no need to jump on your bike and ride 102 miles!  
These are the recommendations for physical activity levels for adults:

Fitness is FUN; leave the suffering to us...

No comments:

Post a Comment