Credo

I suppose one’s credo should be grounded in insightful ideologies from philosophers, religious icons or parents. Mine (above), is taken from Dos Equis & The Most Interesting Man in the World! No matter the source, the statement describes me perfectly; I don’t believe in a life lived secondhand. My musings on this blog discuss how I have lived by this credo so far, and will continue to do so. I’d be thrilled if you also shared your experiences here; let me hear from you about your LIFE.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Growing our Own


My husband Bob, surveying the plantation

We like to grow our own veggies – lots of them.  Last weekend’s harvest took both of us five hours to blanch/sauté/roast and freeze everything, and the following day I made ice cream from the cantaloupes.  It wouldn’t be so time consuming if we didn’t grow enough for a small village.  However, we’ll be eating home grown beans in the dead of winter; can’t beat that!  I have a couple of quick thoughts about growing our own vegetables.  Is organically grown produce better for you?, and Darn, organic veggies are expensive in the stores!

The data is pretty conclusive that organically grown produce is better for you as it contains fewer chemicals (from pesticides & fertilizers), more antioxidants (they help us fight cancer, amongst other good things), and may have a higher nutritional content. The jury is still out however, when it comes to making claims about the long term health benefits.  This is a great article from the New York Times that sheds some light on the subject.  I believe it equally important to consider the impact of conventional growing techniques on the environment.  What are the pesticides doing to our soil, our water, and our wildlife?  Overall, it simply makes sense to me.  I wouldn’t drink a pesticide, and it don't want to eat it in my food either.

Growing our own allows us to afford a steady, and varied, stream of organic veggies.  For example, our community garden charges us $35 per year for usage.  Our seeds average $2.50 per pack, and a typical packet of a leafy green veg will grow way more than two people can eat.  We are probably all in for $200 this season, for both spring and fall plantings.  Don't forget, we’re putting a lot in the freezer for winter also.  There was some capital outlay to start, purchasing some tools etc. but you can’t deny the overall savings compared to buying organic produce in the grocery store.  Our veggies are much more FUN also; check out these carrots!

Kaleidoscope Carrots

If you’re interested in trying your hand at growing your own veggies, the American Community Garden Association has a search tool for you to enter your zip code and find your nearest garden.

Happy Farming!



No comments:

Post a Comment